1. Inglis v. BC Minister of Public Safety (trial level successful demand for mother/baby in women’s prison to be reinstated on Charter grounds)
3. Bedford. SCC unanimously strikes down all Canada’s prostitution laws (for non Canadians – sale of sex for money is legal but almost all the things you need to engage in it – especially safely engage – are not). Suspended judgement for a year.
OTHER NEW IN PRINT
A Legal History That’s Really About the Place of Law in History http://jotwell.com/?p=3884
Univ of Toronto Law @UTLaw12 Dec Prof. Lisa Austin, @mgeist and others write “Our data, our laws” in @nationalpost http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/12/12/our-data-our-laws/ …
A fun read! The fourth wave of feminism: meet the rebel women | World news | The Guardian http://bit.ly/18A8DU1
“rape” law: Rubenfeld’s deception thesis taken on: @YaleLJournal Jed Rubenfeld responds to comments on his article from four scholars including Gowri Ramachandran (SWestern) in the YLJ Delineating the Heinous: Rape, Sex, and Self-Possession http://bit.ly/1iLcFmo (find the others here http://www.thepocketpart.org/. Rubenfeld then reiterates that sex-by-deception remains a problem for rape law: http://www.yalelawjournal.com/criminal-law-and-sentencing/1225-rape-by-deceptiona-response …
Higher Education: Look around – not a pretty sight
UK (if you are not following recent happenings in the UK, you should)
#highered in UK – Cdns, have a look at #fairpayinHE #occupysh [+context @guardiannews http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2013/dec/03/university-strike-3-december-pay … ) & ask: how long do we have?
- “A Ghost Town With a Quad Is that the future of the American university?” http://bit.ly/1iy2PUS #highered
- Want to #teach your students about #structural racism? Prepare for reprimand. #highered http://bit.ly/1iy2hOw @tressiemcphd
Bright Spot! Quebec
- Des universités disent non à la charte | Le Devoir http://bit.ly/1gDmH4m via Konstantia Koutouki