What we’re thinking/reading/doing (IFLS blog)
What’s interesting these days?
Having spent the day mulling it over, I‘m haven’t fully decided about Bedford. I do consider it a victory on the facts and for this cause. I mean that I haven’t decided on the map the court used to get there – what does it mean for the future on this issue and the ones that will follow. Below are a list of four things that I think we should be thinking about – followed preceded by a very small round up of links.
I haven’t done an overview here. I can’t even begin (for More >
1. Inglis v. BC Minister of Public Safety (trial level successful demand for mother/baby in women’s prison to be reinstated on Charter grounds)
3. Bedford. SCC unanimously strikes down all Canada’s prostitution laws (for non Canadians – sale of sex for money is legal but almost all the things you need to engage in it – especially safely engage – are not). Suspended judgement for a year.
OTHER NEW IN PRINT
A Legal More >
Ok, make law VISUALLY appealing?
Over at Stanford, they have started a program in Legal Tech & Design. Law Design Tech | The Program for Legal Tech & Design I like this for a variety of reasons – i do love visualizations, there are clear teaching/learning possibilities, but mainly because of the possibilities for public legal education. Here are 5 things i liked (some of the links below are to Margaret Hagan’s personal site – she’s one of the main movers behind the Program).
1. I love this one (there were a set of More >
Here is Madam Justice Carol Ross’s decision in Inglis v. British Columbia (Minister of Public Safety), 2013 BCSC 2309.
It is LONG. I have not read it – but you might need it right now. h/t Debra Parkes via Lisa Kerr
- #sexwork #VAW RT @agarwalr: The annual #SCC Christmas decision…#bedford is being released on Friday, December 20th.
@gilliancalder tweeted this piece from Joanne St. Lewis: Beautiful. @blogforequality http://www.bloggingforequality.ca/2013/12/a-dignified-warrior-for-peace-nelson_8.html … @firing_controlLGBT* Rights around the Globe Russia
- India Supreme Ct refuses to strike down penal law contra Homosexuality h/t @PoojaaParmar. What next? http://judis.nic.in/supremecourt/imgs1.aspx?filename=41070 …
- good to know govt interested More >