With thanks to the wonderful people who tweet out these gems for me to collect, and a special note for the always interesting and now much more active site http://www.bloggingforequality.ca “run by a group of Law Professors from the University of Ottawa…to share information about equality-related news and initiatives here at the Faculty of Law and in the broader community, as well as to disseminate our research and views on current issues.”. On twitter at @blogforequality. Go and have a look.
- Fiona de Londras @fdelond7 Oct If you’d like to come to Durham to work w/ me (or anyone else!) for 6 wks to 6 mths, check out COFUND fellowships: https://www.dur.ac.uk/law/news/?itemno=15665&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter …
- 2014-2015 Visiting Scholar Positions at McGill U Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies | Feminist La… http://flip.it/yDWON
- New to @SSRN: Experience the Future of #Legal #Education by #Osgoode‘s Dean Lorne Sossin (@DeanSossin) http://ow.ly/pGlW4 #lawschool
- George & Yoon on the Market for New Law Professors http://flip.it/647Kx
- Jena McGill @JenaMcGill9 Oct Clayton Ruby on CBC’s Q discussing TWU’s discriminatory “Community Covenant”. Listen here! http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2013/10/09/q-debate-should-a-law-school-have-sway-over-student-sex-lives/ …
- Gillian Calder @gilliancalder19h A question that answers itself. Should a law school have sway over student sex lives? http://ow.ly/pFAos @CBCRadioQ #law100 @uviclaw
- Kate Sutherland @LawandLit7 Oct HLR has more women. Discuss. – PrawfsBlawg http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2013/10/hlr-has-more-women-discuss.html …
Tools, Tricks, Tech
- Darn. Study:over-sharing by profs encourages uncivil #students #HigherEd http://bit.ly/19qBBIY #doingitwrong? http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03634523.2013.835054 … incidentally, full version of that study doesn’t seem to control for gender of instructor or student, or age or race or similar variables.
- From Tweet to Blog Post to Peer-Reviewed Article: How to be a Scholar Now | Impact of Social Sciences http://bit.ly/1aaNAr5
- Dr Inger Mewburn @thesiswhisperer9 Oct Whisperer book review – doing your dissertation with Microsoft Word http://buff.ly/19fK1B4 #writing #phdchat
- #welcometoHE Hints and tips for new #academics (with tweets) via #lawprof @fdelond · via Storify http://bit.ly/19kkJ6D
LEAF National Breakfast in Toronto
- Coffee works! “@DeanSossin: Great if groggy @LEAFNational breakfast wonderful company #Osgoode table @OsgoodeNews” pic.twitter.com/efY6l0ZBNs
- @LEAFNational legal dir Kim Stanton warns against the complacency that privilege and minor equality wins can bring @DeanSossin
- Anne McLellan @LEAFNational calls for more women to enter politics. Quite compelling, people. See @EqualVoiceCA &, um, step up. Yes. You.
- @LEAFnational event w #osgoode 3L Danielle V who introduced me to Borgen Probably the best @EqualVoiceCA propaganda. Go watch. Then run.
- I don’t agree w Anne McLellan that “we” need a new women’s mvmt. But agree getting more women into politics is part of what we need.
David Cameron: ‘I am a feminist’ | Politics | The Guardian http://bit.ly/1e2yMyF hmmm.
McLachlin, CJ sits on Shylock’s appeal at Stratford fest. Bets on outcome?? http://www.lfpress.com/2013/10/04/canadas-chief-justice-leads-panel-of-judges-in-mock-trial-of-shylock-at-stratford-festival-saturday …
Gender&SexualityLaw @GenderSexLaw5 Oct Missed #queerdreams conference? Video of plenaries and audio of all panels is here: https://echo.law.columbia.edu:8443/ess/portal/section/c5c7d5ae-4bd9-4afc-94a1-42bc07c889a6 …
Caselaw & Controversy
Court dismisses lawsuit over Arizona’s “race- and sex-selective” abortion ban http://bit.ly/GDFLDd
Kyle Kirkup @kylekirkup7 Oct “Transforming Sentencing? Gender Identity, Prisons, & Cdn Criminal Law” (my first contribution to @blogforequality): http://www.bloggingforequality.ca/2013/10/transforming-sentencing-gender-identity.html …
South Africa Constitutional Court Declares Portions of Statutory Rape Laws Unconstitutional http://flip.it/sMVvG